Date: 14 Sep 95 11:39:27 EDT
From: Tom Riess <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: BLUE GLASSES

Much has been written on the subject of blue glasses in the last couple of weeks
and as the discoverer and principal investigator of this phenomenon I feel
compelled to make the following comments. As a fellow PD person (I've had PD for
14 years) I can certainly empathize with the sense of urgency to find anything
that will even slightly ameliorate this condition.  However, I also feel it is
important not to rush into untested waters prematurely - we don't need any
additional problems or for that matter disappointments.  The California
Parkinson's Institute has agreed to run a double blinded, controlled study to
determine whether blue filters are of any real therapeutic benefit to PD
sufferers.  A testing protocol has been written and the study should be done
within the  next several weeks.
Having said the above let me summarize my current unproven speculations re Blue
filters.  Blue filters can potentially impact problems of dyskinesia - the
uncontrolled irrational motions associated with long term use of L-Dopa
(Sinemet).  They have no effect on and possibly exacerbate symptoms associated
with undermedication - akinesia, shuffling gait, gait initiation problems,
tremor etc.   I believe that clinically dyskinesia can be influenced by two
factors; anxiety or tension (mediated by the autonomic nervous system) and
vection - the sense of movement through the environment (visually mediated).
The degree to which blue filters can impact dyskinesia is a function of the
severity of dyskinesia.  Among the population of "dyskinetics" some will find
that blue filters can effortlessly and completely suppress dyskinetic motion,
others will find that the blue filters can facilitate the suppression of
dyskinesia if they concentrate on the task of suppression.  Distracting stimuli
tend to dilute the effect - possibly to the point of having little therapeutic
value. More importantly there are more potent and effective ways to control
dyskinesia - proof of concept "ugly duckling" prototypes already have been
built.  They are currently being refined and tested.
My recommendation to those afflicted with dykinesia is that they wait a little
longer when hopefully the effects and safety of blue filters will be better
understood.  If you feel compelled to try them presently then I will send you a
pair on request in exchange for which I would like to request a $35 donation to
cover costs and support my work in this area. I can be reached by E-mail or by
writing to me at: Tom Riess
                        176 Morningside Dr.
                        San Anselmo, CA 94960
One final note of caution.  Some blue filters will block out reds and make
traffic signals and stop signs less apparent.  If you are having blue lenses
made it is very important to confirm that red can be normally seen.