For what its worth, I have had both hip joints replaced. The left one was
replaced at the Scott & White Clinic in Temple, Texas in July of 1979. It
was cemented in place as that was the accepted method at that time. In
accordance with the procedure I was up and walking with crutches the next
day after the replacement. I walked out of the hospital a week after the
operation needing only one crutch. For the record I have had no pain or
problem with the replacement since although I am wondering how much longer
it will last as I was told to expect 15 - 20 years of service. The right
hip joint was replaced 2 1/2 yyears later in Miami by Dr Ellis.  It, too,
was a cement job and like the first has given no pain or problems. There is
a difference between the two replacements in that with the last replacement
the socket liner only can be replaced whereas with the first one the socket
and liner are not separable.  As to whether or not to have the operation -
an emphatic "YES". I have had good service with the cemented type but would
probably have opted for the more permanent method were I given the choice.
One observation:  Exercise is an important factor. It is necessary to keep
the body in good condition but avoid the type of exercise such as tennis
or jogging that places sharp stresses on the hipjoint.....Good Luck with
whichever method you choose - but have it done.....ED H
was a

Edward Huschka