Michael, as you noted from my note to Claudia, my mother had a knee replace-
ment.  I can't recall her age exactly, but she was in her 60s.  She had
bad arthritis there.  After the joint replacement (rt knee), she didn't
have the motivation to exercise it.  It hurt a lot and she neveer worked
it through.  At the same time, her physician had both knee joints replaced
and I would talk to him about the progress.  His too hurt a lot, but he
was determined to get his exercise.  He did, and eventually they worked
out OK.  It seemed to me that the critical factor in their not working
for mother was the motivation problem.  We tried everything we could
think of, a stationary bike, walking with her, sitting exercises, a
jacuzzi, etc.
        In her instance we didn't know that it was PD that she had.  Only
til much much later did that become recognized.
        What do you think are the specific considerations in your situation?
                Bob Newbrough