Subject: Synthetic Thyroid Interactions w/PD

I also have a member of the support group who is taking synthetic thyroid
medicatrions along with Artane, Eldepryl and Sinement.  She is having
difficulty with emotions.  Is this normal?  Is tremor induced by the thyroid
medications only to be given Artane to resolve the tremor.  This looks like
one of those taking of pills to resolve the adverse effects of pills.
Regards,

Alan Bonander ([log in to unmask])

Thyroid excess speeds the mind like speed, or diet pills, and in the extreme
can cause very high moods and even hypomania, probably by increasing
catecholamines. Too little thyroid slows thinking and can cause a condition
like Alzheimer's, but reversible. PD persons might need their thyroid
medication individually titrated by moods or emotions rather than just blood
levels, tending to the low side. Propranalol used to be used for the tremor,
and can be used for anxiety, so might help. I presume the synthetic thyroid
  is actually human genetically engineered thyroid hormone, which could be
  more effective for some people than animal derived products, as happenned
  with insulin, but have not looked into this becoz I have no CDROM player
  for the CD of Harrisson's Textbook of Medicine with US Pharmacopeia,
  which is excellent if turning pages is painfully slow.

   Moods are really emotions, happiness, sadness, anger, fear, sexualty,
  trust or feeling people like you or dislike you. Too much sadness gets
  called depression, too much happiness euphoria or hypomania, too much not
  trusting people is called paranoia, and they may be related to stress,
  chemistry, or both.

   Lloyd Stewart