Perhaps lives were saved by DDT, but the long-term effects of this and other
poisons are still not quantifiable. Using DDT to wipe out a population of
mosquitoes to prevent malaria has proved to be a short-sighted solution--it
did not take into account the impact of DDT on the ecosystem and on other
living beings. It was used at a time when people thought that they could
duck-and-cover to avoid injury during an atomic blast, and when they
advertised cigarettes on TV. These are attitudes that have helped bring on
the dangerous imbalances in our lives that cause things like Parkinsons and
cancer. When we are taking pills to counteract the effects of other pills
taken to counteract the effects of other chemicals, then it means the whole
system is out of whack and the malaria prevented doesn't make it balanced.

It is difficult, when facing a challenge like PD, to not feel helpless
against a series of uninformed actions made by others that have polluted our
world, even with the best intentions, but perhaps the best thing we can do as
individuals is to try and restore balance in our lives. We don't *have* to
accept all the toxins that have become commonplace. We can choose organic
produce, natural cleansers, herbal flea collars on our pets, biodegradeable
antifreeze, even. We can even examine ourselves for self-generated
toxicity--for grudges held too long, for hopelessness and resignation, for
hatred and envy, for acceptance of a prognosis.

Anne Marcotty
(P) sister Fiona, 38/4