Hi
I find the ongoing conversations to be most fascinating.  I have been
complaining (bitching is the proper term) for the past year that I was tired,
unable to experience the "on" with my medications, stiffer, slower, more
tired, arrhythmias, difficulty swallowing, struggling each day only to hear
that this is a natural progression of PD.

Fortunately (I think so for now anyway), I have a family doctor who listens
to what I say. . . .and suggested the hypothyroid problem may exist also. . .
but we were busy trying to level out the arrhythmias with medication (beta
blocker fiasco) and side effects and heat, etc....anyway.  To make a long
story shorter I started on synthyroid last Friday.....brochure says that it
will take 2-3 weeks to notice improvement.

On day 3 I noticed that I was standing and swaying to the music as I was
reading the newspaper....I don't have extra movement, I am pretty stiff most
of the time.  On day 4, I noticed that I was talking with my husband at
dinner and not trying to space the words/phrases between breaths.   On day 5
I ate a bagel about 30 minutes after my first meds.....I would not have
considered trying to swallow bread before my second round of drugs had kicked
in.  On day 6, I picked up a pen and wrote a note to a friend. . . I have
been struggling to write a check for the past two months!!!!

I can see as much improvement in a week on synthyroid as I saw when I first
started Sinamet (at a rate of 3 CR/day!)  I will probably overdose on the
thyroid stuff soon, and we will have to do some fine
tuning...................but this is like being reborn!!!  (Low basal
temperature is an indication of low thyroid..............I mentioned to the
dr. that while fighting a tough sore throat/bronchitis in the spring I took
my temp and it was not quite 97.......thought the thermometer was broken, but
Don's temp was normal the same morning........I was merely questioning
whether my PD was affecting body temp regulations..........not suspecting a
strong clue for hypothyroid (along with weight gain).

Will keep you posted as these complex things keep twisting our lives.
Rita Weeks