Hi Roberta:
You wrote:

 >I read with interest the message from Joyce about Permax...I would like to
 >know what were the 'bad' effects from Eldepryl.  I am asking because my
 >husband seems to have some reaction to the Eldepryl as well...primarily leg
 >cramping, and/or 'toe/foot 'curling'.  When he reduces the dosage from 2 per
 >day to 1, this seems to go away.  Joyce, did you stop taking the Eldepryl
 >altogether after starting the Permax?  Is Permax intended to to the same
 >thing as Eldepryl?
Eldepryl works mostly in the brain, not much systemically, to preserve
dopamine (either natural or derived from Sinemet) by inhibiting the main
enzyme that deactivates dopamine.  Systemic dopamine raises blood pressure
and makes you throw up, not necessarily in that order.

Permax is a dopamine substitute that can pass into the brain from the
blood (which real dopamine cannot do), but other than that is much like
the real thing, but without the throwing up part.

Carbidopa, the "10" part of Sinemet 10/100 is another drug that cannot
get into the brain.  In systemic circulation it inhibits conversion of
L-dopa (the "100" part) into dopamine, but once the L-dopa gets into the
brain without carbidopa it can be converted into real dopamine and reduce
the PD symptoms.  Changing from 25/100 to 10/100 should allow more
systemic dopamine to be produced, raising blood pressure and hopefully
eliminating dizziness; the trade-off is that less of the L-dopa from the
meds will get to the brain for conversion into dopamine; that's probably
why the Permax was prescribed.

 >Thank you for your input...we are going to the Neuro in
 >a few weeks, and I am getting prepared to ask all these questions (and more).
 > Hubby currently is taking 5mg. Eldepryl per day (down from 2), and was just
 >recently reduced from 3 25/100 sinamet per day to 3 10/100 as he has been
 >having severe dizzyness (especially when trying to get out of bed in the
 >morning), and the Doc thinks it is drug dose related. He has also halved the
 >blood pressure drug (Accupril).   The other interesting factor is that this
 >dizzyness became much more severe after the latest refill of sinimet
 >(generic) which came from a different mfg. - apparently there can be some
 >significant variation.....we now have specified "no substitute" to avoid
 >similar problems in the future (we hope).  Anyone else find this to be so??
I've heard of it.  Frequently people need to adjust BP meds when they go on
MAO inhinitors such as Eldepryl.

 >Now we hope that we do not trade a relief from the dizzy spells for increased
 >PD symptoms!  We go back in 10 days to discuss again...what 'fun'.
 >Any input appreciated!!!!!!   I am posting this to the board as opposed to
 >e-mail 'cause I feel others benefit from this type of info.  And what a
 >wondeful resource this is!!!       Roberta

I agree.

Bill Parmenter ([log in to unmask])