> My  dad, age 76, PD 7 yrs. has developed in the last 2 days a problem
> swallowing liquids or anything soft.  Dry cereal or toast goes down.  Liquid
> runs out of his mouth.   I have told my mother to contact his neurologist,
> but in the meantime thought maybe someone out there in PD land might have a
> similar problem.  You guys are great.  I have learned so much.
> Marcia

Dear Marcia,

        People who have difficulty swallowing usually have success with
foods that have a slightly thick in consistency, such as applesauce.  There
is a preparation called "Thickit--or Thikit" (can't remember the exact
spelling), that can be added to anything liquid (such as water or juice)
to add bulk, and thus make swallowing easier.

        If your dad is consistently choking on food, suggest that your mom
not feed him until he has seen a doctor.  Violent coughing during eating
is a sign that food is going into the lung, and pneumonia due to food
aspiration may result.  Obviously, immediate medical attention is required
for that reason.

        Some people on this list have suggested that taking Sinemet 1/2
hr prior to meals has enhanced their ability to swallow.

        Good luck, and let us know how your dad does.
----
Mary Ann Ryan
Zippo's mom