I  have had parkinsons disease 18 years and I lead what I consider  a
fairly normal life when my medications are controlling my symptoms. So, I
believe you have to fight this disease everyday with all your ability.
I take sinemet cr 50/200 (3) sinemet 25/100 for a boost (2),permax 1 mg
(3), eldyoryl (1),amantadine 100 mg.(3)and nortriptyline at night to help
me sleep (but does not help much ).I also take other meds for other health
problems.

I was able to work for ten years before I quit my full time job and moved
to the Philadelphia area where my husband's company had transferred.  I had
slowly been losing my skills (I was an executive medical secretary at
Methodist Hospital in the Texas Medical Center.)

I tried to get a job at my new  home and no one would hire me because
I dould not pass typing and shorthand tests or other basic aptitude tests
beca use I would get nervous  and start shaking and just generally fall
apart.  So I decided to work for a temporary agency (Kelly Services). I
tried to explain to the counselor there that I might have some
difficulty(I wanted to be honest with her but she just brushed it aside
and told me she was sure that would not interfere with anything she would
send me to)but she proceeded to send me out on assignments for assembly
line jobs, stocking and inventory, envelope stuffing etc. I really tried to
do these jobs but the problem was that they would not allow me to take
breaks to take my  medication on time and so I developed bradykenisias to
the point that they all laid me off due to "laziness".    So I documented
this very carefully and the temporary service finally refused to send me
out on any  further jobs.  This period of my life was very humiliating to
me and  the only reason I am relating this to you  is because I know that
many of you that have this disease have undergone this same type of
embarrasseme.  IOMy physician at this point told me to apply for my
disability.  I had this approved on the first try mainly I think because I
had documented all of these jobs that I lost very carefully.  I would still
like to work but it is not possible.  However I became very involved in
support groups when we returned to Houston in l990.  I went to meetings
almost every day.  I helped get a young onset group started and then my
husband was recalled and sent to Pittsburgh.  I now drive to other towns
in Western Pennsylvania to support group meetings, I now have two support
groups that I lead, I am actively involved and trying to do my part to
get the Udall bill passed.  I recently  lobbyed my congressional
representative and with Jim Cordy (our chapter president) helping he
joined the list of cosponsors of the bill.

The sole reason I have told you this is because I believe that you as well
as many other patients have had similar experiences and I understand how
devastating this disease is but we have to fight this disease everyday and
at the same time respect whatever true limitations we have .  We did not
choose to have Parkinson's disease but we can choose how we live with
it.
I choose to live every day fighting back and filling my days with
laughter.

Best of luck to you Liangshiu Lee.  Please email me anytime I can help
 by answering any questions.

Carol Gray <[log in to unmask]>