>From:    Joan Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hello
>In a portion of an answer to your question >Are there alternatives...?

     I too am selectively trying alternatives. Much of what I've found is
palliative or remedial. But there is one shinning star that I've used for
6-weeks and can truthfully state it has helped. It is the "Branched-Chain
Amino Acids". These include: L-leucine/L-isoleucine/L-valine. The following
is a direct quote from THE DOCTOR'S VITAMIN AND MINERAL ENCYCLOPEDIA by
Sheldon Saul Hendler, MD, Ph.D.

    (Note: This addresses PD and other conditions.)
Branched-Chain Amino Acids
L-leucine/L-isoleucine/L-valine
(New treatment for Neurologic Disorders?)

     Leucine, isoleucine and valine are three essential amino acids of the
so-called branched-chain category that are, increasingly, in evidence in the
supplement supermarket. Some body-building enthusiasts have been promoting
these amino acids as potent anabolics (muscle builders) and energizers.
Unfortunately, there is little scientific evidence to support those claims.
There is some evidence suggesting that these substances might be able to help
restore muscle mass in those who have liver disease, those who have undergone
surgery and those who have suffered injury or other trauma, but no one has
shown that they are effective in this regard in healthy individuals.

     On the other hand, the branched-chain amino acids appear to be quite
useful in treating and, in some cases, even reversing hepatic encephalopathy,
a form of liver damage that is a frequent feature of alcoholism. The
branched-chain amino acids help curb muscle wasting in individuals with this
disease and, through their actions on brain neurotransmitters, help prevent a
number of the adverse neurologic effects of chronic liver disease.

     Other recent reports suggest possible additional roles for the
branched-chain amino acids in the treatment of some neurologic disorders. One
researcher has reported that a subset of sufferers of Parkinson's disease can
be helped by doses of 10 grams of leucine daily. This preliminary report
needs follow-up.

     A much better and more recent study suggests that leucine, isoleucine
and valine may be helpful in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), better
known as Lou Gehrig disease. Since this is a potentially fatal disease for
which no effective treatment has hitherto been found, this report must be
considered potentially very significant.

     This pilot study involved nine ALS patients, eight of whom reportedly
benefited from supplementation with these branched-chain amino acids, to the
extent that, over the one-year period of the study, they maintained muscle
strength and the ability to walk. By contrast, five of the nine control
subjects with ALS, all of whom received placebos instead of the amino acids,
lost their ability to walk within the one-year period.

     Those receiving amino acids got (daily) 12 grams of leucine, 8 grams of
isoleucine and 6.4 grams of valine. These were divided into four doses taken
between meals.

     The researchers in this study, funded by the National Institutes of
Health, decided to try the branched-chain amino acids in part because of
leucine's and isoleucine's ability to promote the enzymatic breakdown of
glutamate, another amino acid, which appears to be overactive and possibly
toxic in the brains of  ALS victims. Valine was added to the regimen, as
well, because levels of this amino acid are severely reduced in the blood and
cerebrospinal fluid of ALS patients. No significant side effects were noted.

     Owing to the importance of these findings, a much more ambitious
three-year follow-up study is now underway involving one hundred ALS
patients.

***************
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Branched-Chain Amino Acids

     Anonymous. Branched-chain amino acids reverse hepatic encephalopathy.
Internal Medicine News. 18(18):5, 1985.

     Anonymous. Parkinson's researchers try amino acid therapy. Medical World
News. P.26, November 8, 1982.

     Baker AL. Amino acids in liver disease: A cause of hepatic
encephalopathy? (Editorial). J.Am.Med.Assoc. 242:355-356, 1979.

     Bower RH, Kern KA and Fischer JE. Use of a branched-chain amino acid
enriched solution in patients under metabolic stress. Am.J.Surg. 149:266-270,
1985.

     Cerra FB et al. Branched-chains support postoperative protein synthesis.
Surgery.  92:192-199, 1982.

     Freund H et al. The role of the branched-chain amino acids in decreasing
muscle catabolism in vivo. Surgery. 83:611-618, 1978.

     Okada A et al. Branched-chain amino acids metabolic support in surgical
patients: A randomized, controlled trail in patients with subtotal or total
gastrectomy in sixteen (16) Japanese institutions. J.Par.Ent.Nutr.
12:332-337, 1987.

     Plaitakas A et al. Pilot trial branched-chain amino acids in amyotrophic
lateral sclerosis. Lancet. 1:1015-1018, 1988.

     When I started taking these three amino acids, I did not use the dosages
used in the Parkinson's research. ($$$ was a factor.) I started at 219.3 mg
L-leucine. The  L-isoleucine and L-valine doses are 111.3 mg and 150.6 mg
respectively. I will be  graduating to single capsules in two-weeks that
contain 4-times these amounts.

     Even at these low dosages the following has happened for me: My right
calf has put on about 1/3" muscle diameter by tape measure. (The rest of my
muscles did not increase, only my right calf muscle which had noticeably
atrophied.) Both my right arm and leg and foot are less subject to muscle
weakness in the mornings now. For me this means a better gait, less
stumbling, less of my foot turning sideways as I walk, and ability to use my
computer at work with less fatiguing of the right arm. I now get fatigued
along about 4 pm (instead of 1 to 2 pm), but am able to continue to work
productively until 6:30 or 7 pm. (My work week is 4-days, 10-hours a day.)
The other change I noticed is that my complexion is clearer with less red
splotches.

     I have a regimen of vitamins/minerals that include Zinc, Organic
Selenium, Niacin, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, and melatonin. (I intend to add
copper to this list as it has been recommended to me that anyone on long term
zinc usage should have copper in the ratio of 10-parts zinc to 1-part copper
as selinium is antagonistic to copper in the body.)

     For my gait/balance problems I am in the process of obtaining
information re: Feldenkrais. For my mental well-being I am learning to adapt
guided imagery to my needs. I was on Elavil, but have stopped it for the last
6-weeks and have been able to function with only minimal annoyance from
depression.

     In essence, I am reaching out to explore traditional medicine and
alternative medicine in an effort to discover what may help and what doesn't.
I wish you the best in our search!  :)    Feel free to email me as you find
things that help. And if you like, I'll do the same for you.

***** Llyn Gruber    <[log in to unmask]> *****
****  Whatever you can do, or dream you can,  ****
*****       begin it--Johann W. von Goethe        *****