>From:    Deborah Neibel <[log in to unmask]>
>1.  What is the Feldenkrais program/excersises and where can I get
>     information on it for my mother?

I am including an email I received from Michelle Spicher who is a member of
the Feldenkrais Guild and a certified teacher. I have called the 800 number
and am awaiting materials from them pointing me to the next step. (If there
is not a certified teacher in the area they do offer videos and books
suitable for home instruction.)

Hope this helps :)

From:   [log in to unmask] (Michelle Spicher)
To:     [log in to unmask]

...Yes, I do think the Feldenkrais Method has something to offer you!

As I'm sure you already know, Parkinson's Disease is a progressive central
nervous system disorder that results in muscular rigidity/tremors, poverty
of volitional movement and overall slowing of motor functions. The
Feldenkrais Method is designed to maximize an individual's potential for
movement and function.The Method works by sending signals to your nervous
system via increased sensory awarenesss. I think it would be very helpful to
you and others with Parkinson's. You may also recieve a "double benefit" as
you most likely have some unhelpful postural and movement patterns resulting
from your back problems.

There are two facets to the Feldenkrais Method as I described in my original
message. Try an individual Functional Integration lesson or two and see what
you think. You may also find a group Awareness Through Movement class and
find that helpful as an ongoing basis. If you are in an area of the country
lacking in Feldenkrais teachers you can order audio or video taped lessons
from the Feldenkrais Guild. Feldenkrais Guild 800-775-2118 (PST) for
referrals in your area and/or educational materials.

***** Llyn Gruber    <[log in to unmask]> *****
****  Whatever you can do, or dream you can,  ****
*****       begin it--Johann W. von Goethe        *****