First of all, I would like to thank all the contributors who provide
information related to PD.  This has been most helpful to me, as I am
trying to assist my brother (Age 66, 10 years since onset of PD) in
keeping up to date with the latest info on treatments, etc.

I might add that I and his wife have become somewhat convinced that
he may have contracted PD through exposure to Dieldrin when he was
spraying for grasshoppers on his farm as long ago as the 60s, due to
an article which was mentioned on this forum.  But of course there is
no way to prove this now.

My brother has been gradually losing his voice.  Because it is so
difficult to understand him, his social life has become almost
nil.  Then I became quite excited one day when I was able to
understand him very clearly over the phone.  I thought perhaps this
was an answer to the problem.  When I visited him in August, I
borrowed a directional microphone, amplifier and speaker from a place
that rents such stuff for public performances, and tried it out with
my brother.  Unfortunately, I found that we could now hear his voice,
but he was slurring many of his words so the answer was not totally in
voice amplification.  When I returned home, I consulted with several
speech pathologists, who very kindly supplied me with booklets and
other information on PD, related to explaining and finding a remedy
for this problem.  In fact, one of them very kindly found a speech
pathologist near his home town who specialized in PD voice problems.

I have also was given some information on suitable voice
enhancement equipment, which follows:

Luminaud in Mentor Ohio has a unit called a Voicette which is
entirely portable and has a rechargeable battery.  Combined with a
headset which can be worn on the head, to hold the microphone in
front of the mouth, the cost (Canadian dollars) is $350.  These
prices may be out of date, but they shouldn't be much higher.
Luminaud's phone number is 216-255-9082.  The Canadian supplier is
A.S. Telecom Inc., in St. Laurent, Quebec.  Their phone number is
514-332-2000.

It is likely that, if obtained through a speech pathologist, at least
some of the equipment cost would be covered under the corresponding
provincial health plan in Canada.  This might also be possible in the
U.S.

I hope this is of help to someone.

NPA

Norm Archer                  Phone 905-525-9140 Ext. 23944
Management Science &         FAX   905-521-8995
   Information Systems       Email [log in to unmask]
McMaster University
School of Business
Hamilton, Ontario  L8S 4M4
Canada