To Dr. Norm Archer:

I am a little late because I got behind in my e-mail. I have been taking
pycnogenol for several months. My bottle of pycnogenol says, "Pycnogenol
is a distilled concentrate of 85% oligomeric, water soluble proanthocyan-
idins (OPC's) extracted from pine tree bark". I recently discovered
another product available in our local Organic Grocery that is made from
grape seeds. It cliams to be > 95% OPC's and it specfically says that it
exceeds the level of OPC's found in Pycnogenol. Pycogenol is a trade mark
of Horphar Reasearch Ltd., protected by US patent. Proanthocyanidins
have Radical Scavenger Effect (RSE) and as an antioxidant are reported to
be 50 times more potent than vitamin E.

Since levadopa is reported to increase free radical production throughout
the brain in animals (see UPF 1995 newsletter #2, Part 1,p5), it seems
wise to me for all PD patients to take extra antioxidants to combat the
free radicals, whether or not you see any specific benefits in walking or
balance. It may be preventing further progression. I am taking each day:

                grape seed extract of OPC's      50 mg
                vit C                          1000 mg
                vit E                           400 IU

I was diagnosed with PD about 3 yrs ago.
---Milo

Milo V. Anderson, Ph.D.
Box 417
Angwin, CA 94508