Richard, you have provoked lots of interesting and helpful advice,
all of which I agree with.  However, there is something else; why not
consult your colleagues in political science and economics.  You may
find that the student is actually presenting a legitimate option that
many third world countries or the South are seriously considering:
reject aid, not of course in order to starve their people but in
order to get away from the debilitating dependency economy and the
social/cultural destruction that accompanies it.

> I have one student who has gone a step farther:  he advocates removing
> all aid so that even more "third world" people would die of starvation,
> malnutrition, disease, and the like.  Indirect genocide, in effect.

Mieke

Mieke Koppen Tucker                     Bishop's University
Director, Writing Centre                Lennoxville, Que.
Writing Proficiency Programme           Canada J1M 1Z7
819-822-9600, ext.400                   Fax: 819-822-9661
home: 819-823-7273                      [log in to unmask]