Hi all...just a quick note to let all of you who responded to my plea
that I have received and appreciate your efforts...I'm not quite sure
yet what course of action I will select, but I'll spend the weekend
mulling over the messages and communing with the great god(dess) of
rhetoric.  I still have faith that if I can discover the right tools
and assist the student in the right ways that he (and all others like
him) will arrive at humane conclusions eventually.  I was most heart-
ened, however, by the quality of support, sympathy, and generosity
that emanated from the messages I received.

My apologies for the quality of the tying/diction in my first message...
I had just finished a 45m period of consultation with the student in
question and was a bit rattled:  he's nobody's fool and he senses he
may have found the soft, vulnerable spot in a generally well-armored
academic community.

I'll write again next week in response to the messages.  Perhaps by
then this problem have solved itself one way or another.

Richard C.