Thanks Doug,  for the first time in almost forty years (!) of living
in Quebec do I feel genuinely depressed by the situation.  Like many
others, I have always felt much sympathy for the aspirations of
French Canadians, but once I hear talk from the leader, St. Lucien,
and not from some sidekick, about we are a people (no room for me
and mine here) and the need to produce white babies (failed there
too), I feel truly marginalized.  At first it was a really strange
sensation to know that your government views you with suspicion.
What is so frightening is the power of nationalist language.
Patriotism, yes, because it is inclusive: we all love Quebec; but
nationalism fosters the hatred of the other, les autres.  This century
is ending on a dreadful note.

Mieke