Thanks, Mary-Louise, for mentioning the situation at the University
of Manitoba, with the implication that political and social realities
can sometimes make it hard to concentrate on things like the teaching
and study of writing.

Needless to say, there's another reality looming. Perhaps as CASLLers
we can join hands with our friends in Quebec and let them know that
they'll be much in our thoughts in the days ahead. So, Patrick,
Anthony, Ann, Jane, Carolyn, Bill, Sharron, Mary O, Mary M, Mieke,
Martin (& apologies to any I've missed), we're with you -- keeping
our fingers crossed and thinking NO hard.....

dv