I swore to myself I'd never write a word about this on a list . . . but,
well, failing to keep that kind of promise to myself isn't exactly setting a
precedent.

I was struck fairly hard by Mieke's comment.  But what really bothers me is
the nationalism across the board, on both sides: the rhetoric of
nationalism, even when it's in support of a country I have found attractive,
congenial, and -- as countries go -- relatively decent, has been terrifying
to me as long as I can remember.  I came to Canada almost thirty years ago
largely because there was a lot less nationalistic fervor here than I was
used to.  Exhortations to the women of the white race to have more babies is
only the tip of an iceberg, I'm afraid.  A plague on both their houses.

                                       -- Russ

                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_ HOMEPAGE: www.sthomasu.
Department of English      )_ __)_|_)__ __)    ca/faculty/hunt.htm
St. Thomas University        |  )____) |  EMAIL: [log in to unmask]
Fredericton, New Brunswick___|____|____|____/  FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          \                / PHONE: (506) 363-3891