Seems to me nationalism (like religion according to Marx, in the
passage from which "religion is the opiate of the people" is quoted
out of context) has in certain circumstances positive as well as
negative consequences.  In the imperial centre, from which both Russ
and I emigrated, nationalism tends to be, well, imperial and
imperialistic, something progressive people should get beyond.  The
positive effects of nationalism seem to predominant in contexts where
nationalism motivates people to resist imperialist oppressions (as
religion can give people strength to endure and resist, in part by
fulfilling spiritual needs that are being crushed by oppression).