I've been trying to figure out a way to link our discussion of "offensive"
or "harmful" student opinion to our recent reflections on the Quebec
referendum (or "neverendum," as it has come to be called). I feel a
connection, but I'm not sure I can make it - directly, at any rate. At the
heart of each issue, it seems to me, is a definition of "us" and "them," a
division into camps, a polarization of opinion/belief/loyalty. I agree, Rick,
that nationalism, as a response to imperialist oppression, is a healthy,
liberating, and progressive answer to the assimilation and cultural
genocide that conquering forces impose on their victims. The solidarity
and strength in group identification allows the oppressed to withstand
and perhaps overcome the (physical, ideological, spiritual, cultural)
violence of the oppressor. And I think Quebec nationalism has been a
critical reason why a distinct language and culture continue to flourish
here, despite our location in a huge, powerful, and English North
America. (Aside: I've often wondered why many Canadian nationalists,
concerned as they are with the maintenance of a separate and
state-supported Canadian identity, have trouble understanding the
parallel move in Quebec.)
But, one of the most  insidious results of oppression is that resistance
is shaped by the conditions of oppression - that is, reaction against
often takes an obverse form, an attitude or dynamic opposite to the
oppression a people experience. So, in response to the diminution or
under-valuing of culture or ethnicity, people develop a strong
identification with their own group against the Other. (And here, I think,
might be part of that link: we are often the Other to our students, and
what we perceive as offensive may be reactions against us.) This
current referendum campaign, more so than the previous one or
discussions in the interval, has had a strong appeal to group
membership, often defined as old stock and French. Thus, Bouchard's
comments about the "white races," in his discussion of birthrate, were
not anomalous - they fit with other comments defining an "us" and
"them." And I am one of "them." (I am also, of course, a living example of
the assimilation the separatists fear. Over three generations, many in my
family became more anglo than franco. Ironically, the trend has
reversed, and the anglos of my children's generation are now bilingual.)
But being "them" does not make me comfortable with the "Non" side in
this absurdly dichotomized debate, not if it means subscribing to the
inflexible federalism of Clyde Wells and his ilk. If Canada cannot accept
a distinct and different Quebec, if it cannot mature as a collective to the
point that it recognizes and respects diversity (whether among the
bickering colonizers or between them and the aboriginal people they
have supplanted), then, like Russ, I call for a plague on both their
houses. Unfortunately, there's no "maybe" on the ballot. (And now I've
lost the thread of that connection.)
Anthony Pare