I'm not sure I can be as good as Anthony at linking the current issue
with things rhetorical, but I hear in his wish for a "maybe" option
something that echoes my unease.  We have just been summoned to join
our president downtown tomorrow at a No rally called by the mayor of
Halifax.  I'm note sure I'm going to go.  My unease is arises I
think, from trying to see how such rallies might appear from inside
Quebec, where I once lived, and indeed spent very important years.  I
fear it will look like the rest of Canada ganging up; I fear it will
evoke massive cynicism -- sure, you want us to stay, but what will
you about it besides rally once in a (very long) while.  What are
these rallies except vocal expressions of (a) a commitment to the
status quo, (b) a lack of imagination, (c) a failure to empathize
or understand, (d) a show of numbers, (e) a expression of maudline
sentitment, (f) all of the above?

When I went to class today, my students were talking about the
referendum.  One said, "we were wondering whether we should sing Oh
Canada before class".  I told them, sure, we'd sing Oh Canada, if
they could and would sing it in French.

Well, they weren't very serious anyway.  But I said, if they couldn't
sing their national anthem in the second official language of their
country, then perhaps it was a little late to be trying to speak on
behalf of a united country.

We went quickly on the Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "The Cry of the
Children."

Vive le Quebec, et vive le Canada
Susan

Susan Drain                                         902 457 6220
Chair, English Department                           FAX 445 3960
Mount Saint Vincent University
Halifax, NS  B3M 2J6                            [log in to unmask]
Canada