This must be a good day for "calls for papers"!  Some members of
CASLL might be interested in the following:

The Canadian Association of Teachers of Technical Writing (CATTW)
invites proposals for 20-minute research papers for its 1996
annual conference, at the Learned Societies, Brock University
(St. Catharine's Ont), May 24 - 27.

The conference is organized around two general themes.  The first,
"Discourse and Power in Organizational Contexts:   Visual and
Textual Connections," encourages proposals that explore how
organizations and institutions enculturate their members into
approved textual and visual practices. Research related to this
process of socialization, and/or the problematics of having to
teach certain stylistic or visual practices, would be particularly
relevant to this theme.

The second area, "The Role of Research in Writing Centres in Canada,"
focuses on academic research being conducted in writing centres
across the country.  We invite proposals from writing centre
administrators, staff, instructors, and directors focusing on
research into such areas as student writing, ESL, WAC or WID, and
professional and technical communication.

We also welcome proposals for research papers into other topics
related to technical communication.

CATTW may be able to offer a SSHRC travel subsidy to presenters who
are unable to obtain funds from their institutions.

Please send 250-word proposals by Oct. 6, 1995 to
CATHERINE SCHRYER (attn. CATTW)
University of Waterloo, Dept. of English, Waterloo, Ontario CANADA,
N2L 2G1.  Telephone:  (519) 885-1211.  Fax:  (519) 746-5788.  E-mail:

Presenters must be members of CATTW.  If you submit a successful
proposal and are not a member, you'll be sent a membership form.
The annual fee is $25, for which you receive a twice-yearly Bulletin
and our refereed journal TECHNOSTYLE.  For more info. about CATTW
membership, please e-mail Amanda Goldrick-Jones--