> Ironically, the trend has
> reversed, and the anglos of my children's generation are now bilingual.)

Most of us have made sure that our children our bilingual.  That does
not impress Bouchard & co.  Unless you are of the race, of the group,
you are other, les autres, no matter how wonderful your linguistic
skills.

The United States is re-discovering that it is divided by race
(surprise! surprise!); we are re-discovering that speaking French and
loving our neighbours is not enough.  No matter what the outcome next
Monday, things are going to be nasty.  At least we don't try to
kill each other like the citizens of former Yugoslavis.  Actually, I
have several new immigrants and refugees from that sad part of the
world in my classes (Sherbrooke is an immigrant & refugee centre).
They are just shaking their heads and thankful that we believe in
ballots and not bullets.

Mieke  (feeling less depressed these days, thank you!)
Encoding: 24 TEXT