Everyone is concentrating on Parizeau's racist remarks.  But he also
noted that there might be revenge (presumably from Ottawa) and that the
Quebecois would need the PQ to protect them.  This remark, bltant
political ass-covering, suggests that the whole thing is not about race,
or not just about race; power is also important here.  Parizaeau wants to
run a country, not just a province.  He is willing to sacrifice the
interests of individual Quebecers to gain more power for Quebec as a
whole and himself in particular.

This is why, in my estimation, he was so bitter and so unstatesmanlike.
Bouchard, on the other hand, probably wouldn't mind being a Prime
Minister either, but he seems to me to have the interests of the Quebec
people much more at heart.  This allowed him to be much more diplomatic
and to not take the defeat personally.

My biggest worry is that Parizeau will be out soon and that Bouchard may
take his place.  Without Parizeau's oafishness to help out the No side,
the next referendum may well go the other way.