I finally figured it out. I've been trying to understand why this generation
of separatists seemed to be so different from Rene Levesque and
company, who I believe were fighting a justifiable battle to protect and
promote the distinct linguistic and cultural life of Quebec. Since that
battle, though not won, has been advanced successfully in many
palpable ways, I wondered why it was being continued. But that isn't
the battle that Bouchard and Parizeau were/are fighting. Parizeau's
remarks last night about "ethnics" and Bouchard's pre-referendum
comments about the "white races" make it clear: this is about race, not
about language and culture. This is resistance to multiculturalism and the
increasingly multiethnic face of Quebec (or Montreal, at least). It is
interesting to note that, under the broad category of "ethnic," Parizeau
was pointing at the Inuit, Cree, Mohawk, and other Native groups who
voted overwhelmingly against separation, as well as at the anglophones
and allophones. He is also conveniently ignoring the high percentage of
white, French-speaking Montrealers who voted against separation. I
know that many YES voters will find Parizeau's comments deeply
offensive, but this interpretation, if it is accurate, fills me with dread.
Anthony.