Andrea--

From what we've been hearing up here, the whole referendum business
was significantly under-reported in the States until just this week
when Americans, who have heard all of this before and always found it
a false alarm, suddenly realised that it might just really happen
(sort of like us) and have been trying to figure out what the heck is
going on up here.

Possibly the wave of map-redrawings to make political boundaries
co=incide with ethnic ones over the past five years made it all seem
more possible.

What is the Anerican reaction?  Puzzlement? Sympathy? Disbelief?

An AMerican student in one of my classes a while ago asked me why we
cared--why not just let them go?  I think she was thinking about what
if one state wanted to secede--ie, 1/50th of the country.  I asked her
how she'd feel if a strip down the middle of the country from Michigan
to the Gulf of Mexico wanted out.  That put things in a little better
perspective.

Did Parizeau's parting speech get reported in the U.S.?  He blamed the
defeat on "money and the ethnic vote."  Even diehard PQ members could
be heard to gasp.  When he sobered up today (there is considerable
genuine speculation that he was drunk at the time) he quit.

The scary thing is that it's not over yet.

Doug