>     There was a young man from Quebec
>     Stood buried in snow to his neck.
>          When they asked, "Is you friz?"
>          He replied, "Yes, I is.
>     But we don't call this cold in Quebec."
>
>                                       -- Russ

I grew up with this limerick, because my mother was born in Quebec
City and had many tales to tell (and photographs to corroborate) of
being buried in snow up to the second-floor windows.  My uncle
tobogganed out his bedroom window in one memorable story, and there
was a tunnel from the front door to the street ... My mother still
maintains, however, that at least she was never cold _indoors_,
unlike in her newly married life (fifty years ago this fall) when she
moved to Britain and had to learn to light coal fires in draughty
rooms, and to shut doors to keep the sepulchral cold of the other
rooms out of the living space.

What will happen to our witticisms and reminiscences if CASLL begins
to feel lurked upon ... (to mangle a perfectly good intransitive verb)
Has anyone pointed out, BTW, that "alien" is a ggod word to apply for
temporary crossborder types?  That same mother never did like being
called a "resident alien" in the USA.  (I always assumed that non-
resident aliens were the visitors in UFO's....)

Enough nonsense -- sorry!
Susan

Susan Drain                                         902 457 6220
Chair, English Department                           FAX 445 3960
Mount Saint Vincent University
Halifax, NS  B3M 2J6                            [log in to unmask]
Canada              Note change of address from [log in to unmask]