Kirt and others:  I watched the verdict with my Advanced Writing class
at 1 on tuesday, and thought you and other readers of the list might be
interested in some of their responses.  Many women were aghast that
OJ was acquited, and several expressed their dismay that in this case
the "judicial system just didn't work."  The one African-American
student in the class was the only person who saw race as an issue at
all.  She and I were the only ones who found it conceivable that
perhaps the police/Mark Furman did plant or tamper with evidence (I
grew up in Mississippi in the 1960's when the police wwere complicit
with much worse actions.).  Part of our discussion did focus on the
setting, however--how do people who were living in Los Angeles
during the Rodney King trial and the subsequent riots understand the
police-tampering-with-the-evidence argument?  How does the context,
the historical as well as physical setting affect the jurors as well
as others in assessing/being swayed by this part of the defense's
argument?

Sue Simmons
Bowling Green State University