Hiya, folks . . . me again.  I've got a sticky situation, which will be
familiar to people who were at Inkshed 12, which is why I'm writing here
for help.  Remember my descriptions of the vitriolic homophobe who
basically went after (rhetorically, not physically) one of the gay
students in my class last spring?

Well, the homophobe has just written to me, asking for -- get this -- a
_letter of recommendation_  for [a] law school . . . and (if that doesn't
push your panic button) for [b] a Canadian Studies internship program in
Ottawa this summer.  How do I tactfully tell him I won't do this?  How
much explanation do I have to give?  (His homophobia really isn't the
only reason I don't want to write this letter; I think he was a divisive
presence in class, he didn't contribute much to his group, and I think he
may have plagiarized his final paper . . . )

I have no clue why he's asking _me_ for a letter, except that maybe his
other professors didn't get to know him very well.  And I'm worried about
what I say when I refuse to write the letter, because I'm worried about
opening yet another can of worms with this guy.

Any rhetorical savvy you could pass my way would be _extremely_
appreciated.  And thanks.

Marcy

Marcy Bauman
Writing Program