Hi Marcy,

I have never refused to write a reference letter for a student, but
if I feel I will have to include in such a letter something the
student might not want included, I tell them so.  Even if I just
cannot write as good a letter as I suspect the student is expecting
or as good a letter as the student would need to get serious
consideration.  In the case you mention, I might say, 'when you were
in my class you made some homophobic remarks and I would have to
include a sentence in my letter mentioning that.'  Or if that were
impolitic, 'Considering your performance in my course, you would
probably be better off getting a letter from another prof.'  Usually
students take the hint and withdraw the request.