Marcy,
Doug Brent wrote:
>It seems that the law people should be warned, however.  It would
>probably be tactless to send them a backstabbing letter but the occasion
>may warrant it.
I don't recall ever having disagreed with Doug; but this time I must. In
so many ways our students reveal both pleasant and unpleasant aspects of
themselves to us.  We assess their work and we may express our views on
their attitudes and the views they hold.  When they ask us to write a
reference, they take the risk, unwittingly sometimes, that we'll probabl
y write unfavourably.  But, unless such students pose a serious risk to
the lives of others, I don't believe we ought to reveal what I consider
privileged information. I mean who has the right to know and who therefo
re ought to be informed when our students express views we consider
reprehensible, whether they be homophobic, sexist, or racist or even
wearing the wrong political stripe? Eh?
Patrick

Patrick Dias
Faculty of Education