I think, on reflection, that Patrick's probably right.  On the one
hand we have a certain duty to protect the world against jerks who
reveal themselves to us in ways that might not become evident until
too late when they apply for other positions.  On the other hand, we
do so at great risk not only to the confidence students have in us but
to the ethical soul of our entire enterprise.

We can't choose not to choose, but Patrick's choice is the better as it
doesn't make us into confidence-betraying backstabbing sons of bitches,
even if we would be becoming so for the "right" reasons in this sort of
particular case.

Thanks for the comments, Patrick.

Doug