Well, my particular instantiation of this vexing double vision Rick talks
about would be made a lot less complicated if I thought that the the
student in question had failed to perform adequately in my class.  In
fact, he's not a half-bad writer.  I don't think that, in terms of the
little corner of the curriculum entrusted to me, he lacks the writing
skills necessary for either position.  If he'd written a thesis,
it would pass.

What he lacks, in my opinion, is character.  I suppose that
recommendation letters constitue an occasion where it's appropriate to
comment on someone's character, but I feel uneasy about that.  Maybe that's
because of all those years of grading students' papers, many of which
took points of view with which I didn't agree, and feeling that,
nonetheless, I needed to be objective in evaluating them; but I feel
unfomfortable saying to myself, okay, this guy can write, but I don't
like who he is and what he stands for as a person, so I'm going to deny
him entrance to a position that he wants, a position that _I_ don't want
to see occupied by persons like him.  Where do we draw the line on those
sorts of issues?  How many years ago was it (if it's in the past at all)
that people got refused letters of recommendation for law school because
they were _against_ racism or sexism or hompohobia?  At what point do I err
in making those judgements?  Ought I to refuse to write letters for
people whose politics are more conservative than mine in other ways?
What if the highly erudite, principled young man in my class this
semester -- who's also a member of the NRA and is writing on the evils of
gun control -- were to ask me for a letter?  Can or should I say, no,
sorry, don't like your politics?  I'm the gatekeeper; I'll make it as
narrow a passage as I like?

There are other issues embedded here, too.  The gun-control guy is less
disturbing to me precisely because he is so polite and well-spoken and
thoughtful; he presents himself well within the context of the university
classroom; he knows the discourse, the expected behavior.  He's also
white.  The homophobic student, on the other hand, doesn't seem to know
the unwritten rules so well . . . but then again, he's Arabic-American.
I wonder if he's playing by the same rules.  If he were more
sophisticated, would he be able to pass his homophobia off in ways that
were more acceptable to me?  Am I, finally, judging character or
socialization or academic skills?  Can these be separated?

Well, you may be saying that race and academic background don't constitute
just grounds for excusing homphobia, and I'd by and large agree.  For me,
to borrow the words of my Dean, homophobia is (one of) the filth(s) at the
center of the mind, the presence of which suggests to me that that person
cannot be expected to act ethically in other circumstances.  I'm not
going to write the student in question a letter.  I'm not going to do it,
knowing full well that the reason I'm not going to do it has absolutely
nothing to do with his academic performance (there are reasons there I
could fall back on, but they're not really the reasons I'm deciding
this), that my reasons have to do with my particular value system, my
sense of what is right & ethical in the world, my own idiosyncratic
sense of justice.  My justice, my values, are enough like others' here so
that nobody's going to squabble with me, I don't think -- but I can't
help being profoundly uneasy at the way that values, academic
performance, and discourse communities all have become intertwined and
implicated in this decision.  I don't think this is avoidable, but it
sure gives me pause.

Marcy

(Damn.  This _was_ about OJ.  Sorry.)

Marcy Bauman