South of the Mexican border, I presume (cf., NAFTA).  But if Chile
gets into NAFTA, perhaps the significant will shift (to Antartica).

At any event, people who live in the imperial centre, which has
coopted the term "American"--logically, a term that refers to all
North and South Americans (even those who speak French, Spanish or
Portuguese--perhaps even in California), aren't used to being
excluded from, well, anything they desire, and they have a very large
"defense" budget that has often been used to "defend" places much
more distant (and much warmer) than Canada, so I think that (much as
I want to see how many more clauses I can work into this sentence) we
should negotiate.  Perhaps NCTE could extent its advice about
language to include the issue of "American" and, in return, Russ
could promise not to exclude NCTE members from CASLL.