First, let me tell you how much I sympathize with you.  This kind of
situation is most difficult to deal with.  I have dealt with it twice in
the past, and now I attempt to head it off before it happens.

The most serious case involved a young man who was provoking the young
women in the course by writing a persuasive piece trying to convince them
the prostitution was a great way for college students to earn extra
income.  He thought it was funny, hilarious, in fact.  I didn't and
neither did they.  My response then was to tell him in his first draft
that he had missed his audience.  Neither I as a reader not the rest of
the class were amused.  His response, of course, was that we were all
"politically correct" and lacked asense of humour.  Because I warned him,
I was able to justify failing the paper.  However, I was not happy with
the basis on which I did so.

Now in my program here at Waterloo, I address the problem directly by
bringing in Katz article on the Holocaust--that amazing memo by Mr. Just
that talks about disposing of human beings in totally objective
language.  I have put this into a unit on ethics in which we explore the
problematic of ends and means (Plato and Aristotle) and the power of
language to both construct and destroy.   This provides me with a much
firmer basis for objecting to your student's kind of rhetoric--it's
Nazism, of course.

Catherine F. Schryer
University of Waterloo

PS.  the Katz article appeared in College English a couple of years ago.