Glad you started this strand, Richard.  It's an issue that those of us
involved in writing centers go round and round on.  Should tutors be
obligated to take an audience approach, or an evidence approach, or some
other "neutral" rhetorical responce to a paper that is morally repugnant to
them, or are they ethically justified (maybe even obligated) to refuse to
contribute to the power of the argument?  Considering this tension in the
peer situation always opens up my own anxiety.  I handled a situation in a
comp class very badly last year.  The issue was no where near as dangerous
as those mentioned here.  The student was politically extremely
conservative, which did not bother me, and operating out of an unexamined
position of extreme class privilege, which did bother me.  I encouraged him
to bring his view into class discussions (was I "using" him?) and I
approached his writing from a strictly rhetorical stance--"you need
evidence" etc blah blah blah.  I know, however, that he believed his grade
of C+ was because I disagreed with his views not because he was not
presenting them skillfully enough.  And I wonder, looking back, whether my
judgments were colored by my gut reaction to his class attitudes, which we
never talked about.

This makes me wonder whether it would be more useful to put the audience
question not in terms of "your audience" but in terms of "I" - am offended
by your views.  Has anyone done that?  What happens?

I like the way you approach the issue from the perspective of language as
*action*, Catherine.

Jean Sanborn
Colby College
Waterville, ME