Dear All
I am forwarding this enquiry from Jane Cowling (associate editor of the
Hampshire volume).  Please reply to me at [log in to unmask]

"I am writing an article about May Games in Newport on the Isle of Wight, and
would be most interested in any information about a couple of aspects that
appear in the records.  First, a Lord and a Vice were elected and I can't find
printed references to the Vice in May Games, although I believe there are some,
and that the Vice was usually masked.  Second, there were two processions
involved, the main one for collecting the May, and another later in the same day
for the wives of Newport's Bailiffs and BUrgesses, both with the same entourage
of Lord, Vice, minstrel, and morris dancers.  Does anyone know of a similar
record elsewhere?  Any help will be most gratefully received."

Best wishes from Southampton to all on the REED-L discussion list,
John McG