---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 12:39:30 +0100
From: L.A.Paget <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list FICINO <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Call for Papers

THE 23RD BRITISH CONFERENCE ON MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE MUSIC

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON 5-9 JULY 1996

The programme committee invites proposals for individual papers, lecture-
recitals or full sessions on any aspect of music before 1600.  A one-page
abstract should be sent to arrive on or before 15 January to: Med/Ren 96,
Department of Music, University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, United Kingdom (fax
01703 593197).  Scheduling will be coordinated with the Baroque Music Conference
at Birmingham.  Queries may be directed to Daniel Leech-Wilknson
([log in to unmask]), Jeanice Brooks ([log in to unmask]) or Laurie Paget

This conference has been held annually for over twenty years, and has always
been notable for the presentation of fine scholarly work in a convivial and
relatively informal atmosphere.  The 1995 conference was cancelled for practical
reasons, so 1996 will mark the relaunching of Med/Ren after a short hiatus.
We would like to take advantage of this opportunity to highlight the vibrancy
and diversity of early music study and performance.  We would be grateful if
those of you on FICINO would draw this call for papers to the attention of
colleagues or postgraduates in your department who might wish to contribute a
paper or attend the conference.

Southampton is one hour by train from London; trains leave London's Waterloo
station at least twice per hour.  We are close to Salisbury, Winchester, Bath
and a variety of South Coast cities.  Tentative plans for the conference include
a half-day session in Winchester, with a concert in the magnificent medieval
pilgrims' hospital of St Cross.