I think there is a good discussion of some of these points in the modern
edition of Thomas Chobham's penitencial, which was written for an English
audience, but grows out of the reformist movement immediately prior to
Latern IV which centred around some of the early Paris masters like Peter
the Chanter. The feeling about performers, especially those which were
seen as being like those on the ancient stage, seems to be based in part
on patristic and canonical writings which was a reaction to the ancient
stage, like conciliar decrees from the 6th or 7th centuries which were
based on some of Augustine's writings. Other good places to start reading
are JW Baldwin's excellent study _Masters, Princes, and Merchants: Peter
the Chanter and his circle_, which devotes a lot of time to their
attitudes towards various forms of entertainment, and Mary Marshall's
seminal article on the meaning of the word 'theatrum' in late ancient and
mediaeval Latin authors (printed in _Symposium_, v 3, pp 1-39 and
366-89). Larry is kind enough to mention my articles on terminology in
REEDN, but I don't really think they deal with this question. However, I
am hoping to put something together in the not too distant future about
canonical condemnations of various REED activities, such as plays or
misrule, and I hope at that time really to deal with questions like what
and whom the canonists and penetential writers meant to condemn and why.
The English conciliar and synodial statutes on these topics are closely
inter-connected and also much influenced by the canon law and thinking of
the wider church.

A.