This is probably not the place for this so I am going  to try to keep
this short. Also, I am far from being an expert on IRC so if something
I say is incorrect, please correct me.
The undernet is a flavor of Internet Relay Chat or IRC.
I know there is another "flavor" of IRC but I don't have access
to it and so don't know what the difference is.
IRC is the internet's version of AOL's chat. IRC is composed
of channels which are equivalent to AOL's chat rooms.
To access IRC you need a program called a client. The one I
use is MIRC which is available at numerous places on the net.
In addition to a program, you also need accesss to a "server"
that provides access to IRC.

I do not know if IRC is available from within Compuserve
or AOL.

For more information about IRC and Clients access one of two
newsgroups, alt.irc or alt.irc.questions, and read the FAQ
that is regularly posted there. (I checked the FAQ on
alt.irc.questions on 10/06/95 at 6:00 CT.)

As I understand it, anyone can create a channel by being
the first to access it, although the channel goes away
when the last person leaves.  So, at 9:00am Central Time
I'll access #parkinsons on the "undernet".  I'll try to
stay there for an hour. Longer if I have company. :-)
I'll try again at 3:00pm Central Time and a final time at 8:00pm
Central time.  All of these times will be on 10/07/95.

http://rampages.onramp.net/~mgiles/