Our Young Onset group was fortunate to meet Gene Fair, who was in town to
organize his 5K Fun Run called "Breaking the Barriers". It is scheduled here
in Tucson on Nov. 26th. Gene is an inspiring individual to say the least! At
38 yrs old he has lived with PD for 21 years, many of those years in a
wheelchair. He decided a few years ago that too much of life was passing him
by, and through determination and persistence started to walk, and then run.
(I know that not everyone can toss the wheelchair aside as Gene did). He
overcame his crummy attitude, and reached for the goal of raising money for
Parkinson's research. He is truly a man with a mission.

He met with us to enlist our help in finding sponsors for the run, and the
general organizing of the event. It was really neat to get his broader
perspective on what's happening in the Parkinson community. He is hoping to
make the Tucson run an annual event.

I think Gene is a terrific spokesman for our cause. I plan on giving some of
my time to his efforts, and I hope if he visits any of your towns, you will
support him also. After all, "we are in this together".

Kathie Tollifson ([log in to unmask])