From: [log in to unmask] (John Cottingham)
Subject: Spam 101...Fighting Back!
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 10:40:11 -5 CDT

Strange e-mail messages in your mailbox asking you to send for information,
buy something, or contribute to something are called SPAMs when sent to list
members, or Usenet newsgroups.

Why did my mail get returned when I mailed the stuff back to the SPAMer?

1. The offending Internet Service Provider (ISP) had already been deluged with
an incoming protest SPAM and had already disconnected the culprit.

2. The From: line was a HACK. The setup screen on your mail program asks you
to enter your name and e-mail address. Anything can be entered there and it
puts this 'phoney?' address on any SPAM you send. Most of the SPAMs received
here were HACKs with the exception of two. Replying to a HACKED From: line
will always return as 'user unknown'.

Why are SPAMMERS so successful posting this #$*(?

Most communities have a multitude of ISPs wanting customers. They offer free
introductory subscriptions to those who pay by credit card. SPAMMING is a
recreational business so they know which ISPs are vulnerable and available for
little or no expense. SPAMMING is legal.

Subscribing with an ISP, then SPAMMING, getting disconnected as a result, and
then refusing to pay legal charges, can be illegal. If ISPs can establish a
pattern of this conduct by an individual, authorities can bring criminal
charges.

What is the problem then?

ISPs in their contracts with end-users (subscribers), have not spelled out
the definition of 'appropriate' vs 'inappropriate' conduct. If ISP contracts
defined unrequested mass e-mailings as 'inappropriate' conduct, they could
legally request a substantial fee for administrative costs. $5,000 to $10,000
sounds substantial enough to me. Using HACKED From: lines could also be deemed
'inappropriate'.

How does mail get from Point A to Point B?

Everyone either uses an ISP or a university or business operated network to
interact with the Internet. The veins, between you and the rest of the world
wide Internet are called COMMON CARRIERS. The convoluted route from you
(Point A) to any other point is determined by the contract that your ISP.
etc., has with a COMMON CARRIER. ATT, MCI, Sprintlink, UUnet, bitnet, sunet
etc are all COMMON CARRIERS. Presently, contracts do not address
'inappropriate' network load due to security breaches at ISPs. Contracts need
to 'kick-in' additional administrative fees for offending networks.

How can I help bring about a solution?

In recent months, most but not all of the SPAMs were handled responsibly by
the originating ISPs. It took PSI/interramp.com three weeks and three SPAMs
to close the hole in their security. Our nemisis from Albuquerque is still
with us. The recent postings have had hacked From: lines so don't try to
respond to the message. A hacked From: line is a 'Trojan Horse'. The
'SPAMKING' charges $425 to do it.

I want to be an activist rather than a victim, what do I do?

All messages sent on the internet have appended to them, every point that the
message passes through before reaching the recipient. The default subscription
to the parkinsn list does not list any points passed before the listserv
receives it.

The full header subscription option shows all points from origination to the
listserv and from the listserv to you.

I want to help track these messages, how do I get full headers?

Send a message to:

In the body of the message put only:

set parkinsn fullhdr

Messages from then on will have full headers. To set it back to the short
header configuration, send the same message as above except substitute the
words: set parkinsn shorthdr.

Now that I have full headers, what do I do now?

Here is the full header of the two spams we received this weekend: