---------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht ----------

Von:    Dietmar Wessel, 101233,767
An:     Parkinsn list, internet:[log in to unmask]
Datum:  07.10.1995 14:37

Betreff:Kopie von: Kopie von: New member

I am a new member on this useful list and read with interest the messages
received so far. Today I would like to introduce myself. I am 40 years old and
suffering from PD since five years. The first four years were fine without major
problems. I could do my job (project manager for development aid projects in
Northern Africa) without restrictions. The health situation deteriorated
considerably early this year when I realized on a business trip to Morocco that
protracted negotiations become a real burden for me and that I had to slow down.
I applied for the official status of a disabled person. Here in Germany it means
job security since I can't get dismissed due to my disease. In addition I can
benefit from some special tax credits and other allowances. Is the social
security similar in Canada and the US as to disabled persons? I am member of the
German PD association (dpv - 15.000 members). Under its roof the few younger PD
patients have formed the "Club U 40" (outbreak of PD under 40). We are organized
in a few regional groups and hold seminars and social gatherings. My own
participation is limited so far to a weekend seminar where I met other younger
patients. My family (we have two kids) joined the seminar and were, for the
first time, confronted with the various stages of PD. It was interesting and
encouraging to share views on PD, to learn about PD research (Thalamus
stimulation) etc. We are interested in having or joining a computer network on
PD and hence I am glad having "detected" this list. I will try to disseminate
this information in our group. Of course, the language barrier... We will see.
Next year a special event is looming ahead: In early May 1996 a European
Congress for Young Parkonsonians from twenty European countries will take place
with various experts on the latest developments in PD research and treatment.
The Conference will be held in Leverkusen (near Cologne / FRG). What I am
particular interested in is to learn from other PD people how they cope with a
fulltime job when Mr. Parkinson is imposing himself in the daily life or in
other words, how many years one can expect to continue a fulltime job. So far I
have hardly met anyone working fulltime and having PD for more than five years.
I am a bit scared when I see my future, since I like my job from which I get a
lot of satisfaction. How is the situation in Can. and the US as to parttime jobs
for disabled people, do you get a special allowance or pension when working only
parttime? I am looking forward to receiving reactions. I will be off for a week.
Regards Dietmar(