All right, I guess I'm gonna have to jump in to this NADH conversation. I was
roused by David Devor's charges that sounded a lot like "snake oil". Well,let me
say this, I agree with you David, up to a point. Some of you may recall my one
person, unblind, non-placebo study of NADH a couple of months ago, which I
posted updates on to this list. I may be crazy, but I like to think I'm not
stupid. Fact is, I embark on new-fangled treatment alternatives on a regular
basis, BUT not without extensive research first. The thing that bothered me the
most about NADH was that there appeared to be lots of supporting data at first,
but it all turned out to be the same study by Dr. Birkmayer, which was then
highly touted by Dr. Atkins, who was the marketing genius.

And at first, Dr Atkins and the Menuco Corp appeared to be the only source.
Since, other purveyors of snake oil have appeared, and the cost is starting to
drop. BTW, recent studies have shown even snake oil to have therapeutic benefit.

But, like any good young onset parky, I weighed the evidence and embarked on the
journey. I was scared to death, because I didn't have data that I was confident
in, but what I did have at least didn't indicate any serious side-effects. Heck,
I'll use a good quality placebo if it works and the side-effects are tolerable!!

The results: I discovered immediately that the combination of NADH and sinemet
put me over the edge, so I reduced my sinemet. To me that alone is a significant
benefit. I am not sure if NADH alone would provide adequate symptomatic
treatment, but it seemed to act like a booster. And not nearly as boring as
parlodel or permax. In fact, down right exhilarating at times. (Some of you may
recall my post re: my enhanced libido...I think orders surged that week)

Unfortunately, I also experienced the one side effect that was
cautioned...insomnia. I'm no great sleeper anyway, but NADH redefined insomnia
for me. I understand that not everyone is affected this way, in fact of the
three live humans that I know have used NADH, I'm the only one that suffers
that.  But the sleep deprivation took too great a toll on me, interfered with my
ability to work, which is getting more difficult anyway. So, reluctantly, I had
to stop using it.

In conclusion: I don't think NADH is for everyone, but it probably has benefit
for some. I don't think it will ever be the cure-all that Dr. Atkins has been
hoping it would be, but it ain't exactly a pig in a poke either.

That concludes the official results of my study, now I'm gonna visit David's web
site and see what's happening there....

Kathie Tollifson ([log in to unmask])