Thought you all might be interested in a new CD coming out in mid-November by
 the Debussy Trio, a contemporary chamber ensemble of harp, viola and flute.
 The title is "12 Days in the Shadow of a Miracle," composed by Grammy Award-
 winning jazz musician Lyle Mays (he plays with the Pat Metheny Group).  In a
 recent interview, Lyle explained his inspiration for the work:
"My wife's father is suffering from Parkinson's Disorder. Right at the time I
 started writing this piece, his doctors changed the drug therapy he was on.  He
 had a miraculous recovery, or I should say his condition improved tremendously.
 Even the doctors used the word miracle. I was struck by that, that these
 normally reserved medical people were using a term like miracle.  It applied.
 He was dramatically more animated, dancing with his wife. It was just marvelous
 to see. And that mood of everyone at that time was just so upbeat and so
 strong, I felt that it was affecting everything I was doing, including
 composing this piece. But I also know enough about Parkinson's to know that
 this condition is not ever curable, and at any point things could revert back
 to a more deteriorating state. So, in the back of my mind there was this
 inevitable future, which is the "Shadow" part of the title. I guess I was
 trying to deal with the immediate exuberance of the moment and also the
 lingering reality in the background."

The piece is is 12 small sections, representing the first 12 days of the drug
 therapy. The Debussy Trio records on the Sierra Classical label, a division of
 Sierra Records in Pasadena, California.  I heard the piece performed at the
 Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.  It was quite beautiful.  No commercial ties
 to the project on my part... just thought I'd pass it on to the group.

Maura D. Bernard
(father-Jim, 78, 5 yrs)