From:    "J.R. Bruman" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Menstrual Fluctuation

Factor, S.: Acetazolamide Therapy of Menstrual-related Fluctuations In
Parkinson's Disease; Movement Disorders 1993;8:240-241

Acetazolamide (a drug originally developed to counter CO2 imbalance in
acute mountain sickness) at 500mg/day "dramatically" improved monthly
symptom fluctuations in a premenopausal PD patient. At time of writing,
improvement had lasted 2 years. The article also mentions success of
acetazolamide (Diamox) against a different case, of Essential Tremor.
Further, controlled, trials are recommended.

For a paper copy, send me a business-size SASE.

Cheers, Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road
Sherman Oaks CA 91403

comment
For those who speak Spanish there are several articles in Prensa Med Argentina
by RAMOS, Angel, about acetazolamide and PD, with case studies, in men and
women, including reversal of weight loss.
Lower doses , less than 250 mg/day, are suggested, and one should watch
standing blood pressure carefully. Tremor improved dramatically despite severe
fall in blood pressure in the first case of a pilot controlled study, which
got no further due to my lack of funds and possibly because the patent has run
out, but mostly because the possibility of lower dose was not realised, and
the mode of action, if any, seemed obscure. The video was quite dramatic, as
impressive as any the surgeons showed.

Using acetazolamide once a month is inherently safer than continuous use. Side
effects include acidosis and potassium depletion.

It stimulates breathing, so other breathing stimulants, including
progesterune, may help. I speculated that PD might worsen as the level of
progesterone falls, depriving the body of some respiratory drive.
Women could study these possibilities, and technology to measure hormone
levels is readily available. Those who start hormone replacement therapy might
find a change in PD. One does not need to be an epidemiologist to see that PD
is common post menopause, and I read that HRT takers may have less PD, one
study for and one against, but it was in a news release and has not appeared
in medline as far as I know. My own testosterone is down a little, and I
speculated that anabolic steroids might help, but got no further.

Women with PD should be outraged that their special needs have not been
addressed. At least something is known of sexuality in men with PD, but
nothing seems to be known about sexual response of women with PD.
Men who take thioridazine, a dopamine antagonist, may suffer from difficulty
maintaining erections, and premature ejaculation, as do some men with PD. One
patient told me thioridazine made it difficult for her to climax, so perhaps
PD has the same effect.