Since my father has had PD for over 20 yrs and is 76 yrs old, doctors are
starting to tell us that he is at the end of the line in terms of any
beneficiary treatments.  They are telling us that the meds have run their
course and there is nothing else that can be done.  He had a MRI done
which showed his brain is shrinking due to hardening of the arteries.

My question to the group is:  Does there come a time when there is
nothing else to be done, or are we supposed keep experimenting and
finding new doctors if the present ones give up?

My father uses a wheelchair, has severe memory impairment, has
incontinent problems, and his behavior is turning psychotic.  We tried
Clorizal, but it was a disaster.  That experience is making us hesitant
to try other "new" drugs.

Does there come a time when we have to let PD just take its course and
try and make my father as comfortable as possible?  Or is it realistic to
keep searching for a different combination of drugs that may be
beneficial?  He has been in the hospital numerous times over the last
year trying out new drugs.  I am not trying to be depressing, I am just
trying to figure out what is realistically possible at this stage.  I
love my father dearly and do not want to give up.

Thank you for any input.

Rachel Balsam ([log in to unmask])