Dear Friends:

My aunt, who has been diagnosed with PD, lives very close to a number of
Amish families.  For those who don't know, the Amish are a close-knit,
religious community whose members eschew the modern conveniences such as
electricity, automobiles, etc.  Interestingly, they are very well versed in
the preparation and use of herbs for various ailments and in fact tend to
prefer herbal remedies over prescription medications.

Upon learning that my aunt suffers from Parkinson's, some of the Amish women
told her that they were going to consult their herbals in order to determine
which herbs are beneficial in the treatment of the disease.  Following is a
list of the herbs (and vitamins) which they recommend:

B-Complex - 4 times recommended dose
Vitamins A and D, E, C and K
Green Barley 4, Tune Up,
Capsicum, Ginseng, Lobelia,
Valerian Extract - 1 dropper daily

PLEASE NOTE: I am in no way advocating that one pursue this course of
treatment either as an alternative or supplement to one's current regimen.  I
have no idea whether there is any validity to the use of these particular
herbs and vitamins in the treatment of Parkinson's, nor do I know how such
herbs would interact with conventional medications.  I simply found this
information to be interesting, and I am curious to know if anybody has
anything to add on the subject.

Does anyone know if there have been any studies conducted on the use of herbs
in the treatment of PD?  Since modern pharmacology has somewhat evolved from
the use of medicinal plants, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that
herbs could be beneficial in the management of Parkinson's.

Sincerely,
Mary L. Williams ([log in to unmask])