I have not tried the "inexpensive amplification system" but I can add a
comment which may help.  The fact that the mic is omnidirectional does
not mean it will necessarily produce feedback.  You are right in pointing
out the critical factor in getting it close to the mouth.  Indoors in
normal size rooms even unidirectional microphones are not very directional
because of all of the reflections from close walls.  The omnidirectional
mic may actually work better, because it is cheaper to make an omni mic
with high fidelity response (which will also help prevent feedback).
Pointing it is not as critical; just get it close to the mouth.  Also
no bass frequency emphasis that accompanies unidirectional mics, and
less chance of distortion when used close.