At 8:23 10/20/95, Ken Aidekman wrote:
<some snipped>
>In terms of quality of life, Native Americans were probably far more advanced
>than us despite shorter lifespans and limited health intervention.  I envy
>the purity of their culture.  Certainly, respect is due for all manner of
>life with which we share this world. Nonetheless, does saying a prayer for an
>animal before you slaughter it lessen its suffering?  Obviously the prayer
>does a lot more to assuage the hunter's conscience than that of the prey.

In my opinion, Native Americans said a prayer before or after killing an
animal because they recognized that they were simply a part of nature--not
an overlord--and were showing respect for all parts of existence.  I don't
believe they had a guilty conscience and were trying to salve it with
prayers; if that were so, then their cultural rituals would not have
embraced the deep level of respect and awareness for nature which they did.

<more snipped>

>The introduction of millions of new chemicals into the environment during the
>twentieth century has opened a pandora's box of uncontrolled variables to
>confuse our glorious experiment.  It would be entirely appropriate to apply
>the brakes at this point and examine what we have wrought.  Tough to do.  In
>the meantime we might as well use technology to improve quality of life where
>we can.

You said a mouthfull, Ken, and i agree totally!

>If you think animal research is a difficult ethical issue, just hold on to
>your hat for the questions arising out of genetic engineering.  Recently,
>scientists achieved a breakthrough in breeding a mouse that develops
>Alzheimer's.   It is one thing to induce a disease in an animal and then
>sacrifice it mercifully once experiments are completed.  Are we taking a
>giant step forward by engineering species that are born to suffer?  Other
>brewing controversies: patented lifeforms, DNA supercomputers.  The list goes
>on.

<Big sigh here>  I think i'll tackle these issues over the course of
several lifespans. :-)

>Still, I think it is part of our nature is to tinker with life and we must
>learn to live within our nature.  We need to respect life and minimize
>suffering as we clumsily work to improve our world.

Yes!

"Peace from the Clouds"                              \--*MH*--/

Jeffrey Romanyshyn                                Email: [log in to unmask]
"Myth Hawk"

28/Diagnosed 3yrs/Sinemet CR 2x/Sinemet 10/100 as morning booster and as
needed/Eldepyrl 5mg 1x/NADH 2x/Rolfing (Deep Body Massage/Lift
Weights-Cycle--4-5 times per week

"Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist after
he grows up." - Picasso.

"A society that has long lived with oppositional thinking and a deeply
embedded belief in dualism denies the dynamic interdependence of the
opposites--which pulsates at the core of myth--what a mythic way of knowing
is all about!" - (C.A. Burke, L. Hogan, & J.R. Romanyshyn)

If you wish, please check out some of my poetry (written under the
psuedonym ROM CARPATHIAN) and other fine literary creations at the M. David
Lewis Enterprises HomePage at: http://www.mdle.com/